Exploring the Problem Solving Approach

 This weeks lab was all about the problem solving approach. We were tasked with coming up with a lesson that used problem solving skills. I decided to give my students a problem that I know all too well; choosing a good feeding program!


For this lesson I started off with bellwork. Each student was given two sticky notes. On the first sticky note I asked them to write down one thing they know about nutritional requirements and on the second sticky note I asked them to write down one question they still had. Once they were finished I asked them to stick their sticky notes on the chalk board. This allowed for me to see all the similarities that students had in their answers. 


Next, I showed a behind the scenes video at Purina. The goal of this was to help students understand that there is a lot of research and science that goes into creating feeds and supplements. 


After the video, I introduced the activity to the students. I started off by giving them their "mission". 


Then I went into detail on how they are going to accomplish the mission. I wanted to make sure that the instructions were clear, simple and not too detailed so I presented the information in bullet form. 

After introducing the instructions, I asked if the students had any questions and then broke them up into teams of 2-3. Each team received an animal profile card, and the feed + supplement options. 




While the students were working I walked around the room to see if any teams had questions and to make sure everyone was heading in the right direction. When I came across a team that was heading down the wrong track, I didn't give them the right answer but instead asked them to rethink their answer and gave them a few clues. Each group had to pick a base feed along with at least one supplement that was right for their animals situation. An important thing to remember when facilitating this activity is that there are multiple possible answers but students must be able to defend their decision and why they choose that over other things. 

 Once everyone was done, I had each group present their answers and give reasoning behind their decision. In a larger class, I would probably do this activity in the form of stations or only have a few groups present their findings. 

The biggest challenge I faced when creating this lesson, was developing scenarios for species that I am unfamiliar with (i.e. lambs) and then coming up with what I think would be the right answer. Luckily Megan received the lamb scenario and was able to guide me in the right direction as she has raised lambs before. 

Overall, I found this lab to be one of my favorites so far!









Comments

  1. Emily,
    I thought your lab was unique and fun for everyone! First of all, I really enjoyed how you included your students' "mission" and "how to complete their mission." I thought it was a great way to get students thinking about what they need to do for the day. I also thought that having the Purina packet was awesome for having a hands-on problem solving approach and get students to look through the packet to find the answer! I also found myself being curious and looking at other feed information after I finished my own problem! Overall, great lab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Good overview of the lesson and how you planned for the lesson. Good planning will help during implementation of the actual lesson. In your reflection on the lesson you mention not knowing as much about sheep. Make sure you have some potential answers ready to help your students, as you won't always have a student (Megan in this case) that will be able to help. I liked the use of the video in the lesson, as it really did show the students how much effort/time/money goes into producing quality feed products. This also helps the students transition from the bellwork to exactly what they will be doing for the remainder of the class session. Nice lesson that met the objectives of the day. -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - way to execute the problem approach! I liked how you brought in outside resources that were real, tangible resources producers would use in the field. I was a part of one of those groups that headed down the wrong path and recieved some hints. I liked how you did not give us the right answer, but steered us towards another. I will add though that in the end we just guessed and I never found out why the second answer was the corect answer or the first one was wrong. Maybe if you had more time you would have got to that point in the lesson. Overall, great lab! Looking forward to seeing your electrical wiring demonstration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Final observation :( (Week 11 of student teaching)

Roadblocks and Show Pigs (Week 4 Student teaching)